This week, Jennifer asks the following question: What are you reading now and why are you reading it?
I'm currently reading a book I received from Online Publicist Lisa Roe, Muslim Women Reformers: Inspiring Voices Against Oppression by psychiatrist and writer Ida Lichter. It's a serious and important book about women (and a few men) in Muslim countries who are fighting for gender equality and truly making a difference. I hope to review this book soon.
Feeling a bit nostalgic, I organized fifteen "firsts" for my book blog. In order to do this, I had to go back in time and really search for the answers to some of these, but now I have a tidy record of some of my blog's history.
- First blog post: My first book blog post, Greetings, was posted on May 2, 2008, the official beginning of Suko's Notebook
- First book I blogged about: Ruby Holler by Sharon Creech
- First book blog I admired: Kate's Book Blog
- First blogging friend: Christie from Belly Acre Farms (she left encouraging comments on my posts in the early days of my blog)
- First international blogging friend: I'm not sure--either Myrthe from The Armenian Odar (Armenia), or Mee from Bookie Mee (Singapore/Australia)
- First author interview: I was thrilled to interview Kate Jacobs, author of The Friday Night Knitting Club series, in November 2008
- First blogging award: Honest Scrap Award, from Kim from Writing Space in December 2008 (Thanks, Kim!)
- First blogiversary: May 2, 2009 (duh!)
- First book I received in the mail to review: Saffron Dreams by Shaila Abdullah, sent to me by her agent, Kristina, in June 2009
- First book blog tour I participated in: TLC's book tour for Two Years, No Rain by Shawn Klomparens, in July 2009
- First reading challenge I participated in: Spice of Life: A Reading Challenge, hosted by Rebecca Reid, in August 2009
- First book I won on another book blog: The Blue Star by Tony Earley, on Laura's Reviews in September 2009
- First online interview: With Amanda from The Zen Leaf, for BBAW in September 2009
- First book giveaway I hosted: Edith and the Mysterious Stranger by Linda Weaver Clarke, in October 2009
- First weekly meme I participated in: Maibox Monday, in November 2009 (and I've been hooked ever since!)
If this meme appeals to you, please feel free to make your own list of "firsts", modifying anything you wish to. Happy Friday!