Lisa from Books on the Brain, an excellent book blog I visit on a regular basis, tagged me in a recent post for a meme that requires me to list things I like and don't like. Although Lisa's post is not all about books, I wanted to relate my likes and dislikes to books, in keeping with the focus of my blog. (I did something similar to this meme in September of 2009, right before BBAW, in my post What I Love--and Hate--About Being a Book Blogger, which got many substantial comments.) I also made some minor changes to this meme from Lisa. Instead of using the word 'hate', I use the word 'dislike', because 'hate' just seems too strong of a word for this post. And I shortened my list somewhat. But I did follow the basic rules: fill in the blanks after each bold word and tag three friends. (Okay, I didn't follow the rules that closely!)
- I like finding a package in my mailbox or at my doorstep with a book in it, and taking a moment to guess or figure out what book is inside.
- I like finishing a book. There's a satisfaction garnered from reading until the very last page, and knowing how the story ends.
- I like to wait a while before starting a new book. Otherwise I may feel "unfaithful" to the last book (Jessa Crispin springs to mind).
- I like being in the middle of a book, and look forward to continued reading. It's reassuring to see that bookmark inside the book, to have pages left to be read.
- I like getting new books.
- I like getting used books.
- I like the feel of a brand new book in my hands, glossy, perfect, full of potential.
- I like the feel of a well-worn book in my hands, unfussy, broken-in, loved.
- I like getting newly released books from publishers and authors.
- I love when my daughter and I read in bed together. We enjoy each other's company and our books.
- Today was an especially pleasant Friday. I had a relaxing lunch with friends, and got two new books in the mail.
- I dislike finishing a book because I often feel a bit wistful. It's over.
- I dislike it when my kids see a package for me and say, "another book?!".
- I dislike getting so many books that I feel overwhelmed. How will I ever read them all?
- I dislike not having enough time to read.
- I dislike the notion that all readers are introverted nerds. (I may be kind of nerdy but I'm not introverted.)
- I dislike losing my place in a book.
- I (secretly) like to spend some time on Saturday mornings reading in bed.
I am tagging Naida from the bookworm, LuAnn from Reading Frenzy, Veens from Giving . . . Reading- A Chance, and Vivienne from Serendipity to do this meme. Remember, your lists do not need to be book related, although they could be. Of course, you're not obligated to do this meme; if you don't like it or for some other reason choose not to do it, I will understand. If you weren't tagged but want to try this meme, feel free to grab the button and play. I hope at least some of you will have fun with this meme.